Re: I only get System / Locale chooser as root, WM (sawfish) Bums out when I Ctrl-Alt-Fx to change console

Hi,
an answer to my own questions, just in case someone
else needs it:
In my distribution (RH 7.1) Xconfigurator creates two
XF86Config, one in /etc/X11/ (where it belongs) and
the other in /root/
root uses the one in /root/ (logical I guess)
all other users use the one in /etc/X11/
In my case something must have gone wrong while
configurating and the keyboard remained US.
Locale chooser (only available while in root god knows
why...) only updated XF86Config in /root/
I made the change manually in /etc/X11/XF86Config and
got my keyboard...
As to switching consoles while in X (gnome, KDE, ...)
One should use <Ctrl>+<Alt>+F5 to F8.
Note: the first X-console is F7
then one must start X by typing
startx -- :1
in order not to collide with the first X-console.
I have not yet tried :2 and :3 so I cannot tell you
whether one really gets the promised 4 X-consoles...
Hope that help
cheers
Lionel