SAWFISH weirdness

FreeBSD noya 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #49: Thu Aug  2 21:31:54
SAST 2001     ayon noya:/usr/src/sys/compile/AYONKERNEL  i386

I'm using Sawfish 1.0 and the latest Gnome ports (gnomecore 1.4_4 I
think). I've had this problem before with older versions of both though.

It seems to fix itself sometimes and then break again when I log in
another time...

The gist of it is that I get the message 'Deskguide Alert: You are not
using a gnome-compliant WM...' etc. Desk Guide then only shows one
workspace while in the last session I had 4, and I have not changed
anything. In the gnomecc I see sawfish as the current WM though.

Also, GMC takes long to start up for some reason (also not present in
the previous session).

As I mentioned before, I had this problem right after a FRESH install of
all gnome-related packages and also sawfish 1.0. Then it just fixed
itself magically, no desk-guide alert message or anything. Then when I
started gnome again I had this wierdness again.

I don't have a clue how to fix it, so please people, put me out of my
misery :) Thanks.