Path problem within Gnome

I installed a copy of Nedit and added an entry on the Shell menu for Ant. I
then created an icon on the desktop for Nedit. However, when I open Nedit
with the icon, it can't find ant because it's not in the path, somehow.

However, Ant is in my path, and if I open Nedit via a terminal window, the
Ant command on the shell menu works fine.

There seems to be a slight difference between the Gnome user and the user
I'm logged in as.

SuSE 7.1 is the linux dist/version I'm running.

Thanks for your help.

--Michael