What is setting my GNOMEDIR? No Main Menu available..

Hi,

in gnome 1.4 my main gnome menu is missing in the panel. i found out that
my GNOMEDIR is set to "/opt/gnome:", so when i try to add the main or
programs menu to my panel, the panel looks up /opt/gnome:/share/gnome/apps
and of course finds nothing. i was wondering what sets the GNOMEDIR to
that value but havent found anything.

Please help me, I cant use gnome without a main/programs menu menu.
Thank you,
Axel