Must obliterate all traces of Gnome/Ximian from config! How?

Several users on my system have bad configurations after the Ximian-1.4
install.  The initially chose Nautilus as the desktop, but then found it
incompatible with most window managers. In nautilus, the "background" is
a managed window that can get on top of other windows, not a good
outcome. Some users turn off Nautilus's background management, but can't
live without icons.

So they then ran doorman again and chose gmc.

After that, gmc does not manage background icons anymore with any
dependability.  No icons show, and you can drag icons onto their
background, but most of the time, nothing happens.  There's an
especially weird thing that one can drag a link onto the desktop for
files like ~/.Xdefaults, but not for the $HOME directory.

On other users, the smart ones who stayed with gmc in the original
doorman usage, gmc still works fine.

I've tried deleting ~/.gnome and restarting, but I end up in the same
situation. So I guess the configuration mistakes must be hidden
somewhere else.  Where all might they be?

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu