freetype and freetype2 replacement

In the Ximian Monkey talk irc channel last night, a bunch of people were
complaining that there was a dependency conflict with freetype when they
attempt to insall Ximian.  RedHat 7.1 provides freetype-2.0.1, and
Ximian provides the same thing, but in a package called freetype2-2.0.1.
The Ximian staff is looking at this, but in the short term (drum roll
please)

The following solution emerged.

Get the SRPM for freetype from RH, and add Provides: freetype2 > 2.0.0
in the spec file, then rebuild.  Then remove freetype and freetype2 (if
installed somehow) and install the new RPM.  Then, when Nautilus wants
to install, it will see you have freetype2 already and it will not
install the Ximian package freetype2, and all is well.

Enough new users were around that I built packages, and you can use them
if you want, from here:http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/software

In my experience yesterday, this new freetype package cooperates well
with the new Nautilus package from Ximian.  In general, Nautilus 1.0.2
fixes many hangups.  About the only thing I can't figure out now is how
to make gmc manage the background again after turning of Nautilus. There
seems no way to get the desktop icons back.

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu