Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus vs. gmc.

    Martin> 2001-04-17T14:28:41-0500, Brandon Wilson ->
    >> Well, i've got a bit of a delima on my hands.  I'm trying to
    >> create a secure desktop for remote users to login to, and they
    >> NEED filemanager access.  However they can't have access to see
    >> anything but their $home and their project dir.  I need to edit
    >> the source for ether nautilus or gmc, so when it loads up the
    >> ONLY two dirs they see are $HOME and $PROJECT.  Of course they
    >> can see everything recursive of those, but nothing above it.
    >> Does anyone have some function I can replace in the source of
    >> eather program, perferably nautilus, but nautilus IS rather
    >> complex and I can see gmc being alot easier to modify. Thanks
    >> for any help!
    >>
    >> Brandon Wilson Sys. Admin

    Martin> Please tell me you are kidding! No sane system
    Martin> administrator would rely on security in a user
    Martin> application, especially not one as complex as a file
    Martin> manager.

    Martin> You'd be better off chrooting the users and/or set
    Martin> restrictive permissions on the other files.

I'm sure Brandon means he doesn't want his users seeing the files.  He
didn't say write/read/execute, but to see.  Just like Netware's
filescan property.

How easy is it to modify Nautilus to accept a series of regular
expressions and only show (ie. allow users to see) files and
directories which match?

This is a user convenience thing, not a security measure.  That'll
stop my users phoning asking what's "/usr/local/etc/foobar" for and
why can't he overwrite it.

--
Kenny

ADML Support, EUCS, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland.