Help w/ gdk-pixbuf

I am installing Gnome from the source packages, and when i try to compile
gdk-pixbuf after typing make  I get the following error messages:

.libs/ undefined reference to "then in these quotes it says
what is the undefined reference, ex. XFREEDEVICELIST"

I am using peanut linux ( I have also tried to
install gdk-pixbuf from an rpm, and a tar.bz2 package, but evidently that
didn't work because the control-center package says that gdk-pixbuf is

So I was wondering how I fix the error that I mentioned about the undefined