Re: Frustrated Pilot user

tshanno luc edu (2001-04-14 at 2154.24 -0500):
> I don't think its a permissions issue.  I assume that the serial port
> on my lap top is ttyS2.  But it doesn't really matter.  I can't get it
> to work no matter what the device number.  I've tried them all up to
> ttyS8.

Normaly serial ports are ttyS0 and ttyS1 (Unix, C and others like to
start at 0, not 1). ttyS2 and up are serial ports you install with
serial cards, or are taken by extra hw, like internal modems (they are
another serial port, after all). You can also use symlinks, it is a
nice way to configure all things once, then be able to play with hw
without reconfiguring apps.

> Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Have you tried other Linux apps? There are some, I would try them to
discover where is the problem (the app, the OS...). Search in
http://freshmeat.net/, maybe even some of the generic comm apps could
help you (test the port, view hw settings in Linux, try to initiate a
simple connection).

GSR