Re: Linux hangs... (where's "blank")

<mjbjr beaudesign com> schreef op Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:10:41 -0700 (PDT):

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
>
> > I have heard of problems involving xscreensaver locking up overnight
> > in specific circumstances. I believe it's also capable of triggering
> > X server bugs.
> >
> > I would try setting the screensaver to something very plain and seeing
> > whether it happened there.
>
> I've also had problems with lockups, which I have *felt* were screensaver
> related.  I've been running 'qix', and the reference to "something very
> plain", reminded me that I used to set the screensaver to "blank".  I used
> to not care for the distraction of a busy screensaver.  So, I thought I'd
> try that again.  When I went to the screensaver section in the gnome
> manager, there is no "blank"!
>
> Why did we lose "blank"?
>
> Can we have "blank" back please?!

Me Too!

In all seriousness, I have been having weird lockups lately as well. They started about last week, and I can't seem to trace the source. I thought it was xscreensaver as well, so I removed that, and left my computer on for 20 minutes (when the BIOS kicks in the powersave mode). It all seemed to work, until yesterday I left my computer running Galeon displaying User Friendly and came back to find it coming up out of powersave into a blank black screen. I now removed the Nvidia drivers from my kernel and run X with the generic nv driver, I hope this will help, but I am not sure, as removing xscreensaver seemed to help as well.
It appears that I have some problems with the powersave mode locking up X hard, it doesn't react to kill signals (C-A-Backspace) and I can't switch consoles. Before I recompiled my kernel with Magic Sysrq enabled the only solution for me was the BRS (Big Red Switch, which is blue BTW). Now at least A-Sysrq-k kicks me back to my gdm login.
This is probably an X issue, maybe it is not related to the original query, but it felt related enought to mention.

Mart

For the record:
kernel 2.2.19 with APM enabled
X 4.02
Gnome 1.4
and whatever is in Debian unstable at the moment

--
Write in C, write in C,
Write in C, yeah, write in C.