Re: [alsa-user] Re: ALSA and 2.4 Kernels

"S. Massy" wrote:

> Now, I wonder where all the problems come from; a lot of people seem to have
> problem with the 2.4 kernels, but I've run both alsa 0.5.10 and 0.9.0 with
> 2.4.0 and then alsa 0.9.0 all the way for 2.4..1/2/3. Could this be a driver
> specific problem?

heck i dunno whats up.....i can't compile alsa plus i can't even boot my 2.4.3
kernel.....i boot via loadlin as i haven't installed lilo as i do NOT trust it its
caused grief before...so i use loadlin..using loadlin after having copied over to
dos C drive the vmlinuz-2.4.3 file from linux.......results in kernel panic..weird
thing is I have gottem this to work in past with same OS..redhat 7...........i'm
wondering if my troubles are from having downloaded something weird from redcarpet
updater since it is beta......nothing  else has changed from prior sessions where
the 2.4.x kernel worked for me..anyone else seeing this???

i can't even print right now.....lpd is starting but when i try to issue printtool
command to get new printer set it shows not detected on all ports......i have
LPRng loaded or course from stock install....

i noted one odd thing..my printcap file has no contents other than:
#
# This printcap is being created with printtool v.3.48
# Any changes made here manually will be lost if printtool
# is run later on.
# The presence of this header means that no printcap
# existed when printtool was run.
#

thanks anyone for any suggestions
lee