RE: (-) Sorry, your distribution type is unsupported.

Oh really?  By posting this, you've instilled Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
in the minds of some of the people reading with regards to upgrading to RPM
4 and/or RedHat 7.

> > There has been communication about the changes from RPM 3
> to RPM 4, and
> > there seems to be pretty decent documentation of the rpmlib
> API (IANAH, so I
> > can't say for sure).  There is only one distribution using
> RPM 4, while many
> > are using RPM 3.  They did not BREAK any software, they
> simply made it
> > incompatible.  If you want to use the old software on RH7,
> you've got 2
> > options.  First, update the software to be able to use the
> new API.  Second,
> > downgrade the version of RPM on RH7 to v3, and use the old
> software.  Later,
>
> Please, do tell, where is this documentation?

In the CVS repository for RPM, of course.

> Is it in the Maximum RPM book we have purchased?  No, wait, that
> documentation is for RPM 2.5.

There are updates for RPM v3, although nothing for RPM 4.

> Is it at www.rpm.org?  Again, that documentation is for RPM 2.5,
> except for a few code snippets ported to the RPM 3.0.x API.

> So I guess the next step is to look at the RPM headers.  Except that
> those actually misdocument RPM in places.  Try again.

WHERE?  I've not had trouble with any of the RPM headers being wrong.

> Please, I personally know any number of people who would love some
> accurate and current RPM documentation.

I didn't say there was documentation, I said there was communication.  You
can easily get a hold of the RPM developers, and get answers to development
questions.  As somewhere in between a developer and a user (I don't hack on
RPM, but I "hack" on spec files), I've found that I could get pretty decent
answers from Jeff et al. on the RPM list.

> I do agree with you that Mathieu came down a little hard on the
> Red Hat people; it's their software to change, and their changes
> make sense to me, and they've been nothing but helpful when I've
> talked to them with RPM questions.  But I am a hacker, and your
> statements about docs are just plain wrong.

Never said anything about docs, just communication.  Guess I wasn't clear
enough, sorry.
	Greg