Re: How do I ...

Here's a link to the GNOME FAQ
http://www.gnome.org/faqs/users-faq/index.html

There is an item in there called "Problems", click that.  Then click the "X
Problems: Everything is HUGE" problem.  In there you'll see how pressing
ctrl-alt-+ and ctrl-alt-- will change your resolution.  However, this will only
change your resolution if you set up X to handle multiple resolutions.  So try
this first and see if anything happens.

If it does, stick with the resolution you want.  If nothing happens, you need to
run XConfigurator (I think as root) and select all the resolutions you want to
run - being careful to only select resolutions you know your video card &
monitor can handle.  This program will modify your /etc/X11/XF86Config file to
give X access to these other resolutions.

Good luck!