Themes (Re: Slow applets)

hobbit aloss ukuu org uk (2000-09-13 at 1658.19 +0100):
> "speeding GNOME up" section: "Engine themes (non-pixmap) themes include
> gtkstep (the default), metal, notif, redmond95, thinice, clean and
> xenophelia." Any more non-pixmap themes that come with GNOME by default:
> please let me know and I'll add them :)

IIRC the default is Default, not gtkstep. gtkstep does not come with
gtk-engines RPM, so maybe not in tarball either and only avaliable
from http://gtk.themes.org/.

Normal observation of examples should be enough to locate most non
pixmap themes (pixmap themes "sing like in opera" most times). And
read of the gtkrc is the final solution. A theme with only gtkrc and
no images is possible a fast theme.

List of themes that are engines and not pixmaps:

- buffy engine (there is no buffy theme per se, look below)
- Metal
- Notif
- Notif2
- Redmond95
- ThinIce

Derived (aka take one of above and change colors, or combine two of
above engines):

- Basic
- Blue-and-Gray
- CoolIce
- Coolness
- ForestGreen
- Turismo
- Scalpel
- buffyEro (buffy engine)
- buffyIno (buffy engine)
- buffyMagic (buffy engine)
- buffyNess (buffy engine)
- buffyRio (buffy engine)

So you have 18 acceptable themes in the basic package. Then you have
the ones that are at http://gtk.themes.org/ (look for engine kind).
Add your own variations, like my green ThinIce (photos avaliable), so
you have lots of options, IMO.

A quick search at g.t.o gives 28 themes marked as "Engine". You have
to pay attention cos some use images, but with the rules I give, it is
easy to trace what is fast (aka pixmap) and what is not. For example:
Cleanbrushed-Motif uses images, so discard it.

If anybody wants to do a theme builder, I would recommend him (cos I
think it is not avaliable) a nice solution that does not need complex
image operations: show the user all the engines except the pixmap one,
user chooses one and then colors it. I guess lot of people will like
it, it is like MS Windows config tool (but better, you can choose
basic shapes not only colors).

BTW, now that I have read all the theme files: RatsTheme is wrong, bad
paths and such so does not appear in ControlCenter (I will try to find
exactly what is wrong), Scalpel has a file named .gtkrc but not gtkrc
so does not appear either (this problem is just a mv cmd, done here).

GSR