RE: Re: Disappearing consoles?

--------------Replied message--------------
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 11:13:54 +0530
From: Sivaram N B <sivaram balakrishnan wipro com>
To: Mart van de Wege <wege34 zonnet nl>
Subject: Re: Disappearing consoles?

go to /etc/inittab file

check out for something like this....

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4

this will be there at the end of the file......what i have shown is four
consoles thats how it is in my system....

check urs...

shiva
Yes, I've thought of that after sending my original post. I've
dismissed the thought immediately as I assumed that installing
gnome ought to leave my inittab alone. After all, why should helix
decide whether or not I need a virtual console? I ditched Windows
to *escape* these kinds of default assumptions, so if it is helix
messing with my inittab, I would consider this at least a step
backwards and quite unacceptable.
Any thoughts anyone?

Mart van de Wege