libgnome won't compile on freebsd

Hi. I decided that I would like to help out with the gnome project and so
to start I tried to get gnome running on my freebsd 4.0 system. The problem
is compilation of libgnome and libglade stops with the following errors

undefined reference to dgettext
undefined reference to bindtextdomain
undefined reference to gettext

I've installed all of the extra sources(bc, gdbm, autoconf, et al) and
checked the docs that came with the sources but no luck. I tried an
internet search and came up with php. Installing that doesn't work either.
What can I do??

TIA,
Chris Moline