Re: [Helix/Mandrake7.1] Can't log in to Gnome

Obviously "Neiras Sarien" <neiras home com>  thinks that:

> The same thing happens while logging in as any user. Where can I find
> info on this problem, or can you help further? =)

Try to log on as a 'normal' user and then, I'd recommend tracking down Your log files (/var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog, /var/log/gdm/\:0.log) for some strange output of gdm or X. Same You might check the .xsession-errors file in the $HOME of the user which just tried to log on, or, if running XF86 4.0, in /var/log/X.*.log for more infos.
Additionally, by now and here gdm seemed sometimes to break away with an error, like "user gdm doesn't exist" or something similar, and, in worst case (after restoring home directories from backup) the X session terminated while attempting to login because the read/write permissions of the $HOME was wrong, but, given the fact that Your system also acts strangely if You're root, I guess that's not the problem. ;))
"And the things that we fear are the weapons to
 be used against us." (Rush)

 Kristian Rink
 mail: afterimage gmx net
 fax : ++49 / 180 5052 5560 8162
=>encrypted mail welcome. contact me for pgp key.