Re: CD ROM and Floppy icons won't disappear

In message <r0pzojofta6 fsf_-_ black cs washington edu>, Daniel Wood writes:

>I'd love to never see another icon on my desktop again.  After I
>installed Redhat 7.0, I deleted all of the icons on the desktop.
>Unfortunately every time I insert a CD a CD-ROM and a Floppy icon
>appear.  My fruitless web searches only pointed me as far as
>"magicdev", something that doesn't seem to have a man page.  Clues (on
>how to make my computer stop doing random stuff that I don't
>understand) gratefully accepted.

You can turn off magicdev via the control center (gnomecc).

magicdev is really bothersome on one of my systems, as it loads the IDE driver
which rescans the bus, completely freezing the machine for a minute or so every
10 or 15 minutes.

John

--
John GOTTS <jgotts linuxsavvy com>  http://www.linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts