Re: Highly annoying icon behavoiur

Geir Torstein Kristiansen wrote:

> 1. I doubleclick any icon on my gnome desktop
> 2. The icon does whatever it is supposed to do
> 3. The icon I just clicked is still marked w/ chess pattern
> 4. I have to click outside the icon (anywhere on the desktop) to unmark
> it
>
> Why is this? I find it highly annoying.

It's not just your system.  GNOME does this on all systems.

> Is there anyway I can turn this (having to manually unmark) behaviour
> off?
>
> If I recall correctly, neither win*, mac, or kde behaves like this.

Windows behaves similarly, but with one difference.  In Windows,
highlights follow the system's input focus, so that when the app comes
up, the desktop no longer has focus, so the highlight goes away.  If you
then close the app and click once on the desktop (giving it focus again)
the highlight comes back.  Click once more and the highlight goes away
because you're telling Windows to "select nothing".

I don't know how easy it would be to emulate this behavior in X, because
in case you hadn't noticed, "focus" is implemented quite differently in
X.  :)

I'm not sure I'd want that feature of Windows emulated or not.  There's
a lot to be said for the concept that the desktop cannot accept focus.
It keeps the desktop from taking over focus from other apps.

> One last question: What will provide the desktop icons when nautilus is
> finished, and what will happen with gmc?

I do know that gmc is scheduled to die completely, so I highly suspect
Nautilus will be taking over the desktop icon feature.
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m