Highly annoying icon behavoiur

System: RedHat 7.0 W/helix-gnome

1. I doubleclick any icon on my gnome desktop
2. The icon does whatever it is supposed to do
3. The icon I just clicked is still marked w/ chess pattern
4. I have to click outside the icon (anywhere on the desktop) to unmark
it

Why is this? I find it highly annoying.

Is there anyway I can turn this (having to manually unmark) behaviour
off?

If I recall correctly, neither win*, mac, or kde behaves like this.

On the positive side. Thanks a lot to whoever put in the "Tiny" panel
option and the smoothing of the panel icons.

One last question: What will provide the desktop icons when nautilus is
finished, and what will happen with gmc?

Thanks in advance
--
        __  __