Re: Gnome Panel

> Hello
> I'm new to this list, as I'm new to gnome. I used to use KDE and then
> moved to window maker. Windowmaker was fine, but all of a sudden it
> starting segfaulting.. So, I'm using gnome.
> A couple of days ago I had a problem, and I still can't fix it.
> I was trying ldescent, a Descent 1 port to Linux, and suddenly all
> applets dissapeared from my panel, and all my windows dissapeared.
> After trying alt+tab with no success I pressed control alt backspace,
> and then I discovered my windows were still alive, anyways it was too
> late nd X closed.
> Ever since my applets didn't appear back in my panel, and I can't add
> any applet to it. I don't get any error message or anything, they
> just don't show up.
> I tried renaming my ~/.gome and also created a new panel to try in
> that one, none worked.
> I also tried upgrading my gnome (that was about a month old) and that
> didn't work either, I can't add applets to the panel.
> I tried starting a panel from a console so if there were ny stderr
> messages I would see them, but I failed to even start a panel, even
> if I killed the old panel (because it restarts automatically).
> Does anybody know what's going on?

Odd... I'm suprised that moving ~/.gnome/ didn't do anything... Though
if you were using gnome when you did that it may have been recreated
when you exited...

I would try running some applets from a terminal and see if they give
you any errors. Also, try loging out of X, going to a terminal
(ctrl+alt+F1) and then moving ~/.gnome/.

--Ben