multiple proper menus on the panel

Anyone

every time I have gone to use gnome for any length of time the thing I have
most wanted was the ability to add menus to the pnel, menus like hte main
menu (with the foot icon) that have small text and small icons (if you want
the icons) in the menu. I know hte panel hs draws but they are an absolute
PITA IMO as I hate the large icons they have taking up so much space when
you open the drawer (and it looks like a cde throwback anyway). I want to
know is it possible to add another menu on the panel like the foot menu (ie
an icon on the panel which when clicked open up a manu you define somewhere)
that has text and possibly small icons.

I have not looked at the source code for the foot menu but I would be
surprised if the menus were not done in a genric manner that would allow
multiple menus of that type to be defined, so I always assumed it must be
possible to have lots of arbitrary menus on the panel and I was just unable
to work out how to set them up.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks

        See You