lo-color gnome ?

Hi,

is there a lo-color version of gnome available ?

The reason I ask is that I have an application that uses a colour map
and in order to run that application I have to use an 8 bit X server
(otherwise I won't be able to allocate the colormap). Gnome in 8 bit
graphics looks terrible. all teh colors get used up upon just starting
gnome, that everything starts private colormaps, or worse, uses alternate
(and usually black) because no colors available. Even when gnome looks
half decent (by removing virtually _all_ applets from the panel, just to reduce
color usage, enough colors are already used that I still cannot create my
colormap.

For whatever reason, I am able to run the same application under KDE, which
leads me to suspect that KDE either uses less colors, or gnome's color
allocation scheme is not as good. fvwm also works, but then it's not gnome
either.

I really wish to stick w/ gnome, but don't know how to get around this color
problem.

any suggestions ?

thx, and rgds,

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <gregory hosler eno ericsson se>
Date: 10-Oct-00
Time: 13:48:56

        If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
             ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.