Re: Desktop Guide Shading

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Kevin D. Knerr, Sr. wrote:

> On  2 Oct, SoloCDM wrote:
> > Why I don't know, having a grid over the current viewport area within
> > a desk-guide doesn't work presently.  How can the shading be changed
> > (on or off) manually and how can the intensity (darker, lighter,
> > medium) be changed?
>
> IMHO, some of the relationships between the various GTK widgets are
> documented a bit poorly. (For example, it turns out that the foreground
> colors for the GtkMenuShell class are governed by the GtkLabel
> class--the upshot being that you can't tweak menu text colors without
> impacting every other text color in the theme.)

An explanation:

	Things like GtkButton & GtkMenuItems are just generic containers that
	can hold any other type of widget. The most common case is of
	course for them to hold labels, but they can also hold things
	like pixmaps, check boxes, and other random widgets. The text
	color therefore has to be set on the label widget, while the
	background has to be set on the menu item that holds that label.

	(GtkMenuShell is the parent class of GtkMenu and GtkMenuBar, which
	both act as containers, usually for GtkMenuItems).

FYI,
-- Elliot
DEAR IRS, Please cancel my subscription.