Re: Desktop Guide Shading

On  2 Oct, SoloCDM wrote:
> Why I don't know, having a grid over the current viewport area within
> a desk-guide doesn't work presently.  How can the shading be changed
> (on or off) manually and how can the intensity (darker, lighter,
> medium) be changed?

IMHO, some of the relationships between the various GTK widgets are
documented a bit poorly. (For example, it turns out that the foreground
colors for the GtkMenuShell class are governed by the GtkLabel
class--the upshot being that you can't tweak menu text colors without
impacting every other text color in the theme.) The other night, I went
through the source and created a widget hierarchy to assist me in
releasing my new AquaXen theme. (I should be posting this to my site on
my next day off, if not sooner . . .)

Short version: Via the pixmap engine, you need to tweak all of the
possible generic boxes in the default style. (See AquaX-GTK for an
example.) Via Xenophilia (and probably other "straight" theme engines)
you need to set the properites for the GtkDrawingArea class to affect
DeskGuide and the TaskList. However, you should be forewarned that
you'll need to find a decent compromise between the two, since the
active window in DeskGuide uses bg[ACTIVE], while the TaskList uses
bg[PRELIGHT] (which DeskGuide uses for the desktop background color).

HTH

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel yahoo com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

All programmers are optimists.