how to patch?

Hey folks, I've added a little feature to the gnome-panel that I'd like to
send a patch for, but i just wanted to make sure i get the whole protocol
for doing this, since this would be my first patch.  i'm also working on a
couple of the gnome-applets and gnome-media programs.

also i noticed that i did a `cvs -z3 co gnome-applets` and many applets
directories are empty (specifically the desk-guide, in which i wanted to
look into a bug).  i guess i dont get how the HEAD and main branches
work.   which branch should should i be making my patch from?

thanks for any advice!

Josh "Yoshi" Steiner - josh xiphoidprocess com -

Xiphoid Process Records -
San Francisco based electronic music.