Re: upgrading to RH7.0 despite Helix?

Mark Gordon wrote:

> Jan wrote:
> > Read a thread on here about helix being incompatible with RH7.0?
> >
> > Is this just the installer/upgrader of Helix?
>
> Not entirely.  There are other incompatibilities; we've had to recompile
> a lot of the packages for Red Hat 7.0 (even the ones we had originally
> compiled for Red Hat 6.9.5 in preparation for Red Hat 7.0).
>
> That much being said, the installer/updater will also need updating
> (though you should only ever need the installer once, it's something we
> need to take care of).  Users will need to download a new updater (once
> it's available), since the old one won't work under Red Hat 7.0.  This
> is mostly due to changes in RPM.
>
> > If i upgrade to RH7.0 can i still use the already installed Gnome-Helix
> > and just wait until there is support or won't i then be able anymore
> > to ever upgrade my Helix installation?
>
> RH7.0 clobbers almost all of Helix GNOME.  It's still GNOME 1.2, but it
> does look a bit different.  Until Red Hat 7.0 is supported by Helix
> Code, the Helix updater won't work, either.  That should change soon,
> though.
>
> > So should i wait for Helix or can i already upgrade to RH7.0?
>
> Helix GNOME will be available for Red Hat 7.0 in the very near
> future.  Your call.
>
> --
> -Mark Gordon

This discussion is very interesting because i`ve helix-gnome installed and
recently upgraded to RH7.0. It is true that the helix-updater do not work
anymore but my helix-gnome-environment work wery well. And i can actually
install helix-packages with gnorpm after i have download packages from
ftp.helixcode.com with ncftp. I have not tried to download packages with
netscape but i are not certain about if it will work. How is that? Can
someone explain more about this incompatibilities with RH7.0 and earlier
versions. I must add that when i had upgraded the system to 7.0 i rebuild
the rpm-database with the command for that: rpm --rebuilddb.  What is
happened?

Pär Ekholm