Re: copying settings from one user to another

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:49:58PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I have a larger number of users for whom I want to duplicate the settings
> of one master user, once everything is established.
>
> Since there seem to be several user specific entries in the .dot files
> I started already to write a shell script that edits the .gnome...
> stuff appropriately but somehow it is dissatisfying.
>
> Is there a more elegant way to do this?

This same question with the same answer keeps coming up...

I've never understood why ~/.gnome config files don't try to understand things like $HOME, ~, etc.  It's not just that this lack prevents making a generic setup for all users easy; it makes it damn near impossible to move your existing config files around (say, if your account moves) or to share the same config files from machine to machine in a heterogenous environment.  Even if all of my pixmaps, icons, etc. are somewhere in my home directory, the full path from / is stored.  At the very least a path without a leading slash should imply a path from your home directory.

Are we ever going to address this?

Bret
--
Bret Mogilefsky  ** mogul playstation sony com **  Programmer, SCEA R&D