Re: music CD trouble

edebary club-internet fr (2000-11-30 at 1457.50 +0100):
> i have two CD readers : one reads music CD, the other toasts
> they hold numbers 4 and 5 in an outer SCSI chain
> in fstab i wrote
>
>         /dev/scd0   /mnt/cdrom     iso9660   noauto  0  0
>         /dev/scd0   /mnt/cdrom+   iso9660   noauto  0  0

Two "scd0"? I have CD as SCSI ID 3 and CDRW as 4:

/dev/scd0	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660	noauto,owner,noexec,ro	0 0
/dev/scd1	/mnt/writer	iso9660	noauto,owner,noexec,ro	0 0

> and created the related directories in /mnt
> but the system only mounts number five, so i can't read music

Read or play? I can play and read with both, but only one has the
cable to the soundcard, so if I want to hear it I have to use the
hearphones. Reading digitally is different (ripping).

> 	Furthermore at boot i get this line
> "sound module: can't locate module sound: failed (in red)"
> i actually have sound in root mode (but can't set it)
> but not in user mode.

That is a different thing, you have problems with the CDs and with the
soundcard. You have to load the right module for your soundcard, maybe
by hand (modprobe and family) or with a configuration tool (sndconfig,
ie).

> 	This mail is particularly dedicated to Miles ;-)

Now we will have somebody complaining about non GNOME theme. But GNOME
covers, or will cover, a lot, if not all things. If not, please remove
all config tools from GNOME, specially those about networks, users and
other admin tasks. ;]

GSR