Re: 1st X session "loses control". Is it a gdm problem?

On Wednesday, November 22, 2000 10:51 -0600, Paul E Johnson <pauljohn ukans edu> wrote:
+-----
| If I go back to the other X session I can try to throw an xterm onto the
| first with
| xterm --display=localhost:0
| but get rejected for lack of permissions, can't connect to server.
+--->8

Sounds like your ~/.Xauthority is being overwritten. Try setting XAUTHORITY to another file name before starting the second session:

env XAUTHORITY=~/.Xauthority.1 startx -- :1

--
brandon s. allbery     [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]    allbery kf8nh apk net
system administrator        [WAY too many hats]          allbery ece cmu edu