1st X session "loses control". Is it a gdm problem?

I have been running gdm, seems OK.

Then I want to start another X session, so I do
Alt-Ctl-F2
and login, and then I type

startx -- :1

Which causes another X session to start, and it works find. However,
when I switch back to the X session that began with gdm (using
Alt-Ctl-F1) then something is seriously wrong. Clients that are already
open still run and respond, but I can't get any new applications to
respond. They can't connect to the X server, is my belief.  They just
don't show up, the machine seems to churn, nothing happens.

If I go back to the other X session I can try to throw an xterm onto the
first with
xterm --display=localhost:0
but get rejected for lack of permissions, can't connect to server.

Now, here is the weird part.  If I close down the second X session, and
toggle back to the gdm-managed one, then everything works fine again.
--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn ukans edu