Gnumeric 0.54 will not start, under RedHat 7

When I attempt to launch gnumeric 0.54-4, I get a message which says,
"Gnumeric failed to find a suitable default font.  Please verify your
gnome-print installation and that your fontmap file (typically located in
/usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap) is not empty or nearly empty.)"

In fact, I have no such directory.
I did an rpm -e on gnumeric and reinstalled, to no effect.

I'm running RedHat 7, gnome-print 0.20-8

Any guidance to fix this will be appreciated.  As best I recall, gnumeric
worked fine before the upgrade to RH7

John