Configuring Gnome main menu

	Hello, I recently posted a question similar to this to the list,
but the answer (although informative and quick) did not answer all of my
question.  I want to edit the main menu in Gnome.  However, I do NOT mean
editing the Application links menu (ie. in /usr/share/gnome/apps or
/etc/X11/applnk), I mean I want to change the menu so that I can add and
remove items from the top-level:

My main menu currently has:

	Programs
	Favorites
	Applets
	KDE Menus
	Run
	-----------
	Panel
	-----------
	Lock Screen
	Logout

	I know that the menu editor can modify the items within the
Programs menu (if root) and a user can modify the Favorites items.  I also
realize that you can turn on or off particular menus in the panel controls
(ie. turn on or off KDE Menus, Debian Menus, etc.)  However, is there a
way to change the menu to:

	Programs
	Favorites
	-----------
	Help
	Run
	-----------
	Logout

Or whatever.  That is, add/delete "seemingly random items" to the main
menu, and change the order of those items already existing.  I have not
been able to locate a config. file or directory within the Gnome arch. to
do this.  I also briefly sifted through the source code to the menu panel
to see if there is some way to find this information -- I did not find
anything there (although my search was brief).

Can someone point me in the right direction.  If this is NOT possible,
then hopefully it is being worked on.

Thanks,

  ____                  __  __      _
 / ___|_ __ ___  __ _  |  \/  | ___| |    ___  __ _ _ __ _ __
| |  _| '__/ _ \/ _` | | |\/| |/ __| |   / _ \/ _` | '__| '_ \
                |___/
 CS Graduate student at the University of Waterloo
 Contact me:
   - glmclearn math ANTI-SPAM uwaterloo ca
   - aa627 chebucto ANTI-SPAM ns ca
   - (519) 888-4567 x3399
 http://members.tripod.com/~adventurepage/
 finger://glmclear math ANTI-SPAM uwaterloo ca