Re: Locking down the User Interface

I agree with you,

When I was a sysadmin at a College (rccd.cc.ca.us) every user had there
own account (as they should). all the home directories were nfs mounted to
the server so no matter what machine they used they had their own custom
settings. For the windoze side they had roaming profiles. So each person
had a custom look even in windows.

When they first got there account they would get the system default. If
they messed up there stuff we'd just delete there raoming profile so the
system default would re-load.

If they messed up their Linux side we'd replace .gnome* .kde* .bashrc
.cshrc and all the window managers (.enlightenm* .saw* etc) with the
system defaults.

There is never a need to lock down a desktop. Unless you don't have a
per-user account. But having everyone use they same env is just plain
stupid. To much work for the admin to keep the computer the same as the
rest.

The stupid thing is only one lab (the one I did) had there stuff set up
this way. The rest of the school had the same retarded locked interface
that makes the machines almost unusable...