Re: Gnome DVI viewer?

Ben FrantzDale wrote:

> I've searched the archives with only a few, vague results. Is there
> and/or will there be a gnome DVI viewer? (I find xdvi quite anoying and
> often resort to running yap under wine.)

What benefit would a GNOME-based DVI viewer add as opposed to one that
runs under plain X?  It would simply take a viewer that is easily to
build under any X11 environment and raise the requirements to include
GNOME installation.

If what you need are new features (as another reply asked) you might
consider discussing it with the author or hacking xdvi yourself.

> frusterating. Math typesetting is generally not something to be done
> with a mouse.

Island Software's Write/Draw/Paint package had a really great Equation
component which was an X-window system based package for typesetting
equations which used TeX as a back-end.  However it is a commercial
package, and one can't get the Equation component without buying the
whole package.

If you have access to Mathematica and Matlab, they output equations in
TeX format, so you could use that.

A GNOME project to build a front-end to equation typesetting...that
would be very useful.  Ideally the backend would be independent of
the GUI so that it could be made to compile with plain X11/Motif or
any other windowing system as well.

Himanshu Gohel, gohel csee usf edu