Re: Re: Locking down the User Interface

On 15 Nov, Mart van de Wege wrote:

> Sorry Kev, but this just proves the point.

Well, I thought that's what I was doing there . . . ;-)

> NT is not a proper
> networking OS as long as it insists on storing user settings locally.
> At my workplace we use NT as well, and even with roaming
> profilles available, it *still* is a major hassle to enable user settings
> to be stored on the network.

It gets worse--it's a combined Netware/NT network at this time. A
handful of directories are locked down correctly, the rest are not
simply because the drives can be "re-imaged" with the default NT setup.

Of course, their default NT setup leaves much to be desired as it is. We
have Netscape so we can support it, but it's crippled by not having the
proper proxy settings or plugins installed. Correcting it *could* be
escalated to being a "terminatable offense", depending upon the whim of
the supervisor.

Yuck.

Obligatory GNOME content: So how well does GTK/GNOME compile for NT??

Might as well be hanged for a *real* offense . . . ;-)

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel yahoo com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063

God is love, but get it in writing. - Gypsy Rose Lee