Control-Center Background Capplet and GMC icons on Solaris

I have compiled Gnome in my own space (I'm not root, on these machines
at least) on Solaris 2.6.  I had been running with the old HelixCode
Solaris packages (grabbed the SPRMS, extracted sources and patches, and
built by hand -- I can't figure out how to get RPM to work with a prefix
other than /usr...).  Anyway, I saw the new solaris packages on the
helix ftp server (under Solaris_new) and I grabbed them and started
updating.  A couple problems (help anyone?):

(1) The control-center background applet will not let me choose a
background image for my desktop.  I "browse" and select an image, but as
soon as I hit "ok", the capplet reverts to "none" for the background
image (same if I try to pick an image out of the drop down list).

(2) GMC can't seem to find the images in <prefix>/share/pixmaps.  After
the upgrade, my desktop icons all use the
gnome-application-x-gnome-app-info.png (I guess the default).  I try to
change them using properties, but this has no effect. I drag something
off of the panel with the correct icon, and gmc gives it the flower on
paper icon anyway.

Setup:  Solaris 2.6, gnome-libs 1.2.8, gnome-core 1.2.3.1,
control-center 1.2.2, gdk_pixbuf 0.9.0, imlib 1.9.8.1 -- all patched
using patches in HelixCode srpms.

Thanks--
-Troy

--