Re: Global environment variables under Gnome?

> > > A minor question just popped up recently: How do I set
> > > environment variables in Gnome? On my old setup (RH 6.2) it was
> > > just a question of adding the right export statements to /etc/profile,

good, but only if you want the change for every user. You must not
modify it
for your own convenience.

> > I think what's doing the trick with Red Hat Linux is the following line:
> >
> >      #!/bin/bash -login

And you will need to change every scripts !!
What about the ENV file ?
in the ~/.profile or ~/.bash-profile (I usually make a link)
ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
export ENV

and what you want in the $ENV. It will be executed at every call of bash
before
to execute anything else. You can put there everything that is not
exported.

bash -login is mainly usefull to reset your environnement as in
exec bash -login

--
Nur der Kleingeist hält Ordnung, das Genie beherrscht das Chaos.
Seuls les petits esprits aiment l'ordre, le génie maitrîse le chaos.