Re: C++ with GTK--, Qt

Hi Jim.

I have a fair amount of C++ experience and I used gtk-- for a project last quarter (I'm a student).  I found the bindings to be quite good and definitely OO.  The documentation is rather incomplete though.  Another bonus for using gtk-- is you can use glade to generate the gui code for you.  In my project, I had a group of 4 people.  The project had about 6100 loc in the end, 3100 was generated for us by glade--.  (the loc was approximated with a semicolon-counting script).

Nearly all of the other groups in the course used Qt.  They liked the library and found it easy to use (AFAIK).  However, they had to write all the gui code by hand.

Another choice you may want to consider is wxWindows.  wxWindows is a C++ library (with python bindings as well) that provides a GUI interface.  It has several implementations--one for each toolkit it works with (ie GTK, Motif, MFC, Mac, BeOs).  It's goal is to cretae a truly cross-platform gui library that also appears as native gui apps on that platform.  It has a code generator, but it is a commercial product and not free.  I don't really know anything about wxWindows other than what it says on the web site, but it looks very interesting.

I hope this helps you.

If you decide to use Gtk-- (and glade--) feel free to ask me if you run into some problems.  There were a few things I beat my head on for a considerable amount of time before I figured out what was really happening.

All 3 of these toolkits/projects have their own mailing lists.

-D