strange startup directory

The last couple of days, I've had some very strange behavior starting
programs from the foot menu or a launcher on the panel.

I'd launch gnome-terminal, and instead of starting at my home directory,
the startup directory would be ~/.enlightenment.  This happens for many,
maybe all, programs I start via a launcher or the gnome menu.  For
certain netscape, gftp, Eterm, and gnome-term.

I got sawfish, compiled and installed it, so I could rename .enlight-
enment enlightenment and run another wm and see what happened. Starting
an Eterm from the foot menu, it started in ~/enlightenment! I renamed
enlightenment oldenlight, and once again, startup directory followed
to oldenlight. This was repeatable in xterm, gnome-term, Eterm, gftp,
and netscape.  I can't even guess what kind of diagnostics to run, so
I include only:

PWD=/home/nickrud/oldenlight
TZ=America/Los_Angeles
COLORFGBG=15;default;0
COLORTERM_BCE=Eterm
WINDOWID=41943098
ETERM_VERSION=0.9
HZ=100
HOSTNAME=nickrud
VIMRUNTIME=/usr/share/vim/vim57
LESSKEY=/etc/lesskey.out
USER=nickrud
MACHTYPE=i686-pc-linux-gnu
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/nickrud
COLORTERM=Eterm
DISPLAY=:0.0
SHLVL=8
LOGNAME=nickrud
HUSHLOGIN=FALSE
TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
_=/usr/bin/env
SESSION_MANAGER=local/nickrud:/tmp/.ICE-unix/97
SHELL=/bin/bash
HOSTTYPE=i686
HISTSIZE=1000
OSTYPE=linux-gnu
IFS=

HOME=/home/nickrud
TERM=xterm-color
CFLAGS=-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu:/usr/local/enlightenment/bin:/usr/local/netscape:/home/nickrud/bin
VIM=/usr/share/vim
ETERM_THEME_ROOT=/usr/local/share/Eterm/themes/Eterm

----
Rich Rudnick

nickrud citlink net