Re: Everything is still HUGE

efrohnen hotmail com (2000-11-02 at 0832.51 -0800):
> My GNOME windows are HUGE! and so are the fonts. In some cases I can get the
> window to fit but the borders, fonts etc are still huge.

Sounds like a guy I know that only got X in 320 * 240 (or 200?), due a
problem with the drivers. Obviously, all way huge.

> I have tried the following:
> 1) Red the FAQ on the GNOME page
> 2) right click ->Window Size->Size->Max Size Toggle.     Avail Max Size
> Width Height etc.
> 3) I tried ctrl-alt + and -

If you have not configured multiple modes it does not work. You also
should allow that keycombo, but IIRC it is allowed by default.

> 4) I tried changing all of the options under control     pannel ie: theme
> etc.

Tried changing font size too?

> 5) I tried changing all of the settings under   enlightenment

Using enlightenment window manager? I doubt that is related to the
"magnify" effect.

> 6)xf86Config - I have tried all kinds of configurations including momchrome,
> VGA, SVGA etc. I have the monitor and video adapter specs to refer to.

You should use the right driver, if you do not, you can get really
weird results, as the guy I know. Testing drivers is not the right
solution, IMO, cos monochrome and VGA are very limited. You should try
with SVGA or the special for your video card if it exists (if none,
SVGA covers all modern cards in a basic level... SVGA modes ;] ).

> 7)XConfigurator - fails. unable to configure
> One possibility. After I do xf86Config do I need to copy the file somewhere
> before I type startx?

It should write the config in the right place (/etc/X11/XF86Config
IIRC).

> I am using Red Hat 6.1 with an SIS 5597 onboard VGA adapter with a Packard
> Bell PentiumII

Eeek, onboard chipset! Argh! All things I have heard about them is
that they are a pain not worth the saved money, due problem while
using or while trying to replace with a new card.

How many RAM for video? I dunno if that onboard VGA uses dedicated RAM
or system RAM ("steals" RAM from the slots), it would be useful to
know how many MB it is using, so we can know what resolutions you are
using, or at least could use.

Also, the results of xpdyinfo would be interesting. Open a console,
and type "xdpyinfo > results" (dump output to file "results"), then
paste the content of file "results" in a mail. This way we can see
what your system is using, for example size (mine has a line that says
"dimensions: 1152x864 pixels (390x293 millimeters)").

BTW, could you try Red Hat 6.2? It has newer drivers than 6.1. Or any
other distro, but not an old version, cos if the problem is a bug in
the drivers, you want the latest ones, not past year ones.

As you seem to be a "read guy", please visit http://www.xfree86.org/
and check the info about the SiS chipsets or generic drivers, maybe
they already know something about your problem.

GSR