User Configuration Files

I have upgraded twice now from one Red Hat distribution to a later one.  In both cases, configuration files for a user don't seem to
transfer very well.  Additonally, the GUI login screen will not work (I have to fall back to a level 3 init and use "startx" after
logon).  I have several specific questions:

1.  Are the system configuration files documented in one location?  If so, where?

2.  Are the configuation files documented in one location?  If so, where?

3.  How does one start up sawfish if it won't start for a given user?

Thanks.

Tom Browder

P.S.  The link to the user's home directory causes an infinite loop when copying a user's home directory.  The home directory name
ought to be a text file entry just like the tons of other entries in the obvious configuration files.