Re: Problem Installing gIDE

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Richard wrote:

> Dear All
>
> I've just got hold of a book which is from Wrox Press.  For more info
> about Wrox have a look at......
>
> http://www.wrox.com
>
> This is called "Beginning GTK+/Gnome Programming".  It's really good
> for people like myself who don't know much about Gnome and would like
> to learn more.  Written by Peter Wright and worth every penny :-)
>
> My question is as follows......
>
> 1/ When I downloaded gIDE the download page said to download
> libglade.rpm.  I did that and then I did "rpm -i
> libglade-0.7-1.i386.rpm".  The message that came back was " file
> /opt/gnome/lib/libglade-gnome.so.0 from install of libglade of
> libglade 0.7-1 conflicts with file from package libglad-0.11-52". How
> do I get out of this and get gIDE to work  ???

As you have already libglade installed, you should use:
rpm -U your-new-libglade-package-name

Hint: -i install, -U upgrade or install, -F upgrade (only, if older
version exists)

> 2/ When I unpacked gide-0.3.0 and ran ./configure from root I got the
> following error message.........
>
> "checking for gnome-config....  no
> checking for gnomeConf.sh file in usr/local/lib.....  not found
> configure: error:  Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is
> generated by gnome-libs install"
>
> How do I get gIDE ./configure to see this on my system ??  I have a
> working SuSE 6.4 system it's all in there.  how do I get gIDE to
> understand that ?

SUSE uses different GNOME installation directory layout from default.
Try:
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnome

Regards,
Lauris