Re: October GNOME warning messages

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 04:21:54PM -0400 or thereabouts, Howard Cheng wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   I just downloaded the "October" GNOME from the gnome web page (btw,
> > what's the difference between this and the "Octothorp" version?).
> > After playing with the configuration a bit, I am getting a lot of the
> > following kinds of warnings when I start most programs (e.g. xterm,
> > emacs, etc.):
> >
> > Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
> > Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
> > GStC-WARNING **: gstc_parent_add_child(): can't add known window 20972548 to 37
> >
> > I know that it was fine right after I installed it, and it changed sometime
> > after I played with the configuration (though I cannot remember the precise
> > moments).
> >
> > I am using Enlightenment 0.15.5 and Red Hat 6.2.
>
> I'm not sure of the precise nature of what's generating those
> specific error messages: but October GNOME is a full release of
> GNOME which was up to date in October 1999. Red Hat 6.2 was
> released after that, and has more up to date packages. Installing
> October GNOME is in effect going backwards.

The confusing thing for me was that many of the packages in the "October"
version (the one on the web) has the same 1.1.90 versions as the
"Octothorp" version.  In fact, I thought that they were the same as
a lot of the packages I checked were newer than the ones in RH 6.2.
In fact, most of the packages (if not all) are "helix".

Maybe someone can explain this.

Howard

---
Howard Cheng              e-mail: hchcheng@scg.math.uwaterloo.ca
University of Waterloo    URL   : http://www.scg.uwaterloo.ca/~hchcheng/
Computer Science Graduate Student (PhD)

Mathematics is the science which uses easy words for hard ideas.
                                          - E. Kasner & J. Newman