Re: erratic sound

I'm surprised that you just noticed ugly sound from esound now. The
problem is, the ugly sound is mostly a design flaw, not a bug that can
be easily fixed. The resampling code is _crude_, and replacing it with a
better algorithm would probably involve rewriting much of esound. I
mean, esound doesn't even use linear interpolation.

One way to maximize the quality of sound output from esound is to make
sure that the input sampling rate is always the same as the output
sampling rate. Esound chooses 44100Hz by default, if your sound card
supports it. Timidity will sound a lot better, for example, if you set
the output sampling rate to 44100 instead the default. Wav files that
are recorded at 11050 (many of the sounds that ship with GNOME are
recorded at this sampling rate) also sound bad.

Andrew