Newbie Question about gnome-config --libs

Hi all,

I'm new to gnome - with the exception of just using it.... so bear with
me.

I've downloaded the evolution alpha to try it out and downloaded the
lastest, requirements as rpms except for versions of bonobo-0.12
gnome-vfs-0.1 gtkhtml-0,2 and libunicode-0.4 (all of which were compressed
sources as rpms are not yet avaiable). My gnome installation is a standard
Mandrake 7 out of the box via rpms. Now, I've compiled the 4 required
sources and upgraded all relavant rpms (including gnome-libs to
v1.0.61) but my porblem comes with './configure' -ing the evolution
source. it complains the gnome-config --libs bonobo cannot find the
library and falls out. Now, the bonobo libraries (as with the three other
compiled packages) are installed in the default location of
/usr/local/lib. However, gnome-config is always looking in /usr/lib. Is
there any way to get round this easily (me chicken-s*** :-) )? As I don't
fancy recompiling anything I already have thru rpms etc.

I only wanted to try this evolution thing ..... :-)

Cheers all.