To link gnome apps

I have read this is not a list for programmers, but perhaps someone out
there might help me. I am trying to create my first gnome apps, using
examples from a tutorial I found in the gnome site. The problem is, the code
seems to compile Ok (I had to look up for gtk headers throughout the hole
disk,though ), but when linking, the compiler does'nt find the libs for
gtk/gnome. The tutorial says, there is a program called gtk who can tell me
the options I need to compile and link gnome apps, as a mather of fact, you
can use it in your make file as an argument to the compiler to avoid having
to learn all those parameters, include and lib options, but I can't find nor
the program neither the libs menctioned in the tutorial.
I use RedHat 6.0 and selected C++ development and Gnome developement when
instaling, I thougth that would be enogth to compile gnome apps. Should I
have installed C development as wel ? Does Red Hat 6's Gnome come with all
the stuff someone needs to develop gtk programs ?
Thanks for all and please, escuse my English