Re: desktop resolution

On 23 Mar 2000, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Paul Warren <pdw@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> > > While the lists were MIA, I made a suggestion that maybe the FAQ should move to
> > > a sort of Knowledge Base type setup, where users could do natural langage
> > > queries on the KB articles, and people could post their own articles about things
> > > that they found helpful while trying to solve a problem, that could be checked
> > > by someone, and then added to the knowledge base.
> >
> > I think that this is an excellent idea.  A big step in the right direction
> > would be to make the mailing list archives searchable.  I know that this
> > has been raised before, but I really do think that it would be an enormous
> > help.
> >
> > What is the problem with making them searchable?  Everybody else has
> > searchable list archives... KDE have searchable list archives... ;-)
>
> Aha! a volunteer!
>
> Basically, somebody needs to:
>
>  a) set up a good archiving system with searching
>  b) move the current archives over
>
> None of the regular admins of gnome.org has the time or experience
> with a good archive system to do this job, so we'd appreciate help.

Well, I would be game to have a go, but as someone has now pointed out,
the Gnome lists are archived and searchable at www.geocrawler.com.  Could
we put a link on the Gnome site to that?

I still think that there is some mileage in the knowledge base
idea.  Quite often we see well written replies to Occasionally Asked
Questions on this list - see Telsa's reply on links in Gnome terminal for
an example of where putting the reply to such a question online make
sense.

We could stick all this in the FAQ, but I think that would make the FAQ
entirely unmanageable.

I'm willing to have a go at this - perhaps Iain could repost some of his
suggestions that got lost in the Great Mailing List Outage.

Somebody else was requesting making the software repository searchable
too.   Hmm - searchable mailing list, searchable knowledge base,
searchable repository - I smell some potential code reuse here :-)

cheeers,

Paul