Re: [Chat] KDE/GNOME main lacks, accordingly to an italian magazine

<don.poletti@comverse-in.com> wrote:

: Linux already has RPM (red hat package manager) and there are several
: other that do the same thing. RPM is already superior to InstallShield
: and Wise. It could use a slightly higher level install and a common
: GUI would be great for novices.

I agree that RPM is great stuff, but one thing still missing is a way for
users to install things into their home dirs. Netscape plugins for
example. The other night my wife had to come get me because she wanted to
install the Flash plugin. It was a tarball but even if it _had_ been in an
rpm, she didn't have write access to the global rpm database.

If this can't be done with RPM (maybe it shouldn't be) it needs to be done
somehow.

	 - A

--
"I feel like I'm slowly sliding down the side of the big toilet bowl of life."