Re: gnome-core / gnome-applets 1.1.5 "Intimidating Rainbow" released

Hi there,

I'm assuming a total rework and usability assessment of the menuing code
is on the cards. Definitely Gnome menus are much more difficult to
navigate even than Windows menus. And nothing near Mac.

There was an interesting article that was linked from LWN some time back
which compared the Mac and Windows user interfaces, highlighting the
many mistakes that Microsoft had made. One of the gripes mentioned was
the menuing code. Macs include a number of algorithms and assumptions
that make menuing much easier. For example smart timeouts for moving
among menus - having a longer timeout if the mouse is moving in a
certain direction etc.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was thinking about it the
other day as I drove myself mad going into a deep menu hierarchy. The
current code seems very simplistic but then I'm running quite an old
Gnome (core 1.0.4) so perhaps it has been looked at in the later
releases.

If there has already been discussion on this or anyone knows of relevant
sites for looking at the issues in making menus as easy to navigate as
possible for users then please send some links.

Bye!
Chuck